Wednesday, June 6, 2007

going down

Well, today is 'Going Down Day'. School is finished and the majority of the students will be herded onto buses and driven down the long and winding road to Dehra Dun, where they will be herded onto the Shatabdi Express train to Delhi. The bus ride is about an hour long, and last time at least 4 kids on my bus threw up. From Delhi, the kids will disperse to locations all around the world. Some of them I will never get to see again, and others I will never have to see again. Just over half of my students will be in my classes again next year. Some of them even had other options! There, that takes care of my 2007 exclamation point quota. Factorials don't count.

The results of the evaluation forms that I made for the kids to fill out were pretty straightforward. Mr Burchell is boring. Mr Burchell should give us more free time. Mr Burchell is very good at explaining things. Tough crowd. One form had the following bit of encouragement:

[question:] What should be changed about the class? [answer:] the teacher

[question:] What should not be changed about the class? [answer:] the students

It was a generally anonymous survey, except that the people with hateful little ungrammatical pink pens are already known to me. If there had been a name on that one, I would have done everything in my power to see that the student was granted their desire to go back to Precalculus next year, which is indeed being taught by a different teacher.

Yesterday I walked to the bazaar for groceries and overtook a few of my graduating seniors embarking on a bittersweet farewell trek to the filthy maze of greasy pavement and familiar strangers and colorful Indian vivacity that is the Mussoorie bazaar. One of the students asked me if they were allowed to call me Nate, now that they were graduating. I don't really know. I could only wonder if I would ever call any of my teachers or professors "Ken" or "Peter" or "Roxanne" or "Graham". It seemed so strange to imagine it. I guess I have colleagues who are much older and more distinguished than myself, and first-name familiarity has never felt awkward... But then, I have never been very gifted in the area of social etiquette.

I have been a math teacher for one whole school year now.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it odd that the students with the most negative opinions are those that will most likely end up taking the course again? I've done surveys before, with some mixed results. I tell kids to keep it clean because after a year with them I can recognize the handwriting.

    I am enjoying the time off before moving and packing. My morning began with a bikeride, and Sarah is planning on a run this afternoon. She has started to pack and sort and clean, and I hope that she is happy with her progress.

    Perhaps I will enter something on our blog while I am at it.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete