Sunday, August 16, 2009

between the clouds

Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons evrywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
-Joni Mitchell

I took this picture from our neighbors' front terrace. We sipped tea with Dot and watched the drama of the firmament against the rare clarity of this particular monsoon afternoon. It was very clear when we arrived, and I took this picture just after the last fir-covered hilltop was smothered by the clouds. I have always been perplexed to find myself between two ranges of clouds which each seem to know their place. The tops of the bottom clouds and the bottoms of the top clouds seem so content with their boundaries that I stare puzzled, stuck in the middle of it all. Another fifteen minutes and our own hill was in a dense fog.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible picture - and to think - you guys are right there - half way up to heaven. we love you guys, and are especially praying for you these days as you mourn your uncle, Nate. Karin and DAvid

    ReplyDelete